Monday, December 12, 2016

Definitely NOT a dual credit paper, in the end.

So, I’m sure I’ve told you that I tutor on the side.  I usually have some fun tutoring stories and weird experiences to share, but I have to say that this one left me reeling.

The other morning, my phone rang.  I didn’t recognize the number, but I often get calls from parents looking for a tutor or students checking my availability, so I try to answer if I can.  This one was a parent.

“Hi,” she said, “I’m looking for a tutor to help my daughter with writing, and one of the counselors here at (local high school) recommended you.  She said you worked with her daughter?”

“Yes, what kind of writing help does your daughter need?”

“She’s in dual credit English.  Are you familiar with dual credit English?”

I didn’t say “duh,” even though I wanted to.  “Yes, I am.”

“Mrs. Lennox said you specialized in writing, and my daughter has a paper due for this class.”

“Okay.  What’s your daughter’s name and what kind of time frame are we looking at?”

Long pause.  “Well, it would need to be soon.”  Pause again.

“Right, I understand…” Except I didn’t understand why she kept pausing.

“I’m looking for someone who’s not a teacher,” she said after hemming and hawing for a bit. 

“I’m sorry?”

Then it came out in a rush.  “She has this paper due for dual-credit English, and she has to turn it in by 2:30 this afternoon.  The teacher said he’d take it if she could have it in by then, but I want her to work with someone who can really WRITE, not a teacher, and I would pay very well.”

“Oh…” I couldn’t believe what I was hearing.  “I don’t think I can help you.  That won’t give me enough time to work with her, and I am an English teacher.”

“Okay, thanks.”  She hung up quickly.

I love the fact that a mother was contacting me to see if I would help her daughter cheat and get college credit in the process.  I would have loved even more to ask her why she would be a party to this, or why any self-respecting educator would damage their reputation by assisting.


But seriously, how much do you think she would have paid me?