Wednesday, November 2, 2016

IWSG - The ability to make up excuses for anything

The year is drawing to a close, and I'd like to think I've accomplished SOMETHING, but maybe just cranking out a post for this month's IWSG question is enough of an accomplishment. 

This month's question is "What is your favorite aspect of being a writer?"  I think my favorite aspect is taking the weird things that happen to me or around me and turning them into material for the blog.  Of the topics I write about, very little is fictionalized.  Sometimes I change names or places so that I won't get sued, but most of it happens.

Honestly, that's what I find fascinating.  Art does imitate life, and of any situation you read, you can be sure that it's already happened somewhere.  Maybe situations that involve dragons, unicorns and ghosts haven't happened (yet), but I'm sure there's a germ of truth in all of it.  

The other thing I like is the ability to find humor in a situation.  Often I've come home, steamed over a parent conference or incident with a student, and dealt with my anger by writing down what happened.  By the time I finished, I can usually find something in the story to laugh at, even if I didn't at the time.  Like the time a student said he wasn't going to follow my instructions, and I said, "Okay, you can leave the class then."  I was angry but struggling to hold it in.  He left, and it didn't occur to me until later that, yes, he had followed my instructions.  Take that, mouthy student who couldn't even maintain a D average!

Hey, you've got to laugh, because if you don't, you might cry, right?