Wednesday, October 5, 2016

ISWG: Yeah, well, so...

Usually I feel insecure about what I'm doing, and whether it's good enough.  Lately I just feel insecure about what I'm NOT doing, which is writing. So for this month's ISWG post, I'll focus on my lack of output.

I know I wrote last month about being too busy to write and not accomplishing a whole lot, but now I feel that putting off any writing has just made it easier not to do so.  I'm sure it's the same with working out: the less you do it, the easier it is to keep not doing it.  Plus I've made the excuse that I'm out of ideas and motivation, but really, that's garbage.  Writing is often just an act of sheer will, where one just pushes through the distractions and tries to get words on the page.  I tell my students that they're not going to get ideas if they just sit there and wait for them to come; clearly, I need to take my own advice.

I know discouragement over blogging has been one factor behind my de-motivation.  Remember when we knew that all prospective writers needed to blog to grow their audience?  I don't know if that actually works anymore.  Often, I try to remind myself that it's not about expanding my audience, but it's more about practicing.  But I don't think I'm listening to myself.  I wish I would, because then I'd have more drafts and material to rewrite or edit.  At least that's something to be proud of.

Regardless, it's time for me to get back in the saddle, if I can even find the saddle, or the horse, or even the corral...