Wednesday, June 1, 2016

IWSG - Now I'm the one who has to be schooled

I know this may come as a surprise to you, but even though I teach, I don't like school.

Yes, I understand the value of classroom instruction - how could I not?  But I don't particularly enjoy being a student.  I like to learn, but sitting in a roomful of other students, listening to a lecture or working on various educational activities makes me tense.  I'd like to say that I understand when students tell me they don't like school, but I don't see it manifested in the same way.  I see a lack of interest on their part in anything that requires effort.  My problem is not that I don't want to expend the effort and broaden my mind - I do and I can.  It's that I don't want to do it with other people around, bothering me.

Why is this even an issue, on IWSG day?  It's an issue because it's time for me to dive back into school for myself.

I've put off getting a master's degree for years.  Time, cost, and effort were and are real concerns, but they aren't serious concerns anymore.  If I want to improve my lifestyle and further my career, I need that graduate degree.  The real problem is that I just didn't want to be in class myself.

"You'll love it!" my teacher friends reassure me.  I smile, but I'm fairly sure I won't love it because I'm not a people person.  No, really!  I'm not shy, nor do I have social phobias.  I just don't like other people.

I like my students, but at the end of the day, I want to go home.  Having classmates will make me want to take another look at online schooling, where I won't be annoyed by the habits of others around me.  I'm the classic introvert.  I write because I have things to say, but I don't want to, you know, SAY them to other people because they might want to have a longer, more boring conversation.

But I can't put off graduate school anymore.  I'm just getting older, and pretty soon, another decade will go by, and I won't be any closer to having completed that advanced degree.  So this summer I'm going to find a program, take the GRE and try to get things started, preferably in an online program with a minimum of human interaction.