Saturday, April 30, 2016

Z is for zzz's, which we probably all need right now

Dear Ask a Teacher,

Yesterday I went to my Spanish teacher’s room after school.  I had an appointment to meet with him so he could help me on conjugation.  When I went in, he was asleep, with his head on his desk - at least, I’m pretty sure he was asleep.  I said his name twice, but he didn’t wake up.  I didn’t know what to do, and I felt weird about shaking him, so I left. 

What should I have done?  Should I say something to him about it?  He never asked if I came by.  Should I tell someone?

Signed,
Confused in Colbyville


Dear Confused,
To be completely frank, every teacher I know has looked for a place in the school to hide so he or she could sleep, or wished that he or she could find one.  Teachers are exhausted.  We don’t sleep much, and when we do, we don’t sleep well. 

I think you did the right thing, Confused.  Don’t mention you saw him, because he’ll be extremely embarrassed.  Just make another appointment with him, maybe this time before school starts.  Whatever you do, don’t tell anyone in the office, because he’ll get in trouble, even though he didn’t do anything wrong.  They won’t be kind. 

I hope this helps, Confused, especially since this is the last post in our A to Z blog challenge.

Signed,
Ms. Michaels


P.S. If you ever see Ms. Waterhouse slumped over her desk, call the office AND 911.  We think she has a prescription drug problem.