Monday, April 11, 2016

I is for Immature

Dear Ask a Teacher,

I don’t get why freshmen have to be SO immature!  I mean, I know I didn’t act like that when I was in ninth grade.  They do such stupid things, like shoving in line in the cafeteria when it’s pizza day, or being loud in the bathrooms with their friends, or going on and on about their boyfriend who’s also a freshman (so who cares, right?) or complaining about how hard their classes are.  Seriously??? I’m a SOPHOMORE, so my classes are way harder.  When I ask them to move out of my way in the hallways because I’m an upperclassman, they have to whine about it.  If my friends and I tell them to shut up about their boyfriends in the bathroom, they’re so rude.  They say we’re jealous because we don’t have boyfriends.

What’s the deal with freshmen and their immaturity?  It sucks! 

Signed,
Irritated in Indianapolis


Dear Irritated,

Questions like these make the 38 days, 3 hours and 49 minutes I have left to teach seem even longer. 

I’m sure, Irritated, that you are radically different than you were last year.  In fact, I’m also sure that you NEVER annoy the juniors with any immature behaviors, and that you quietly and politely stay out of their way in the halls.  You are probably so mature that your teachers have NEVER had to tell you to sit down, be quiet, turn in homework or put your phone away, correct?  Of course not!  Because having to be reminded to display basic respect, courtesy, and a responsible work ethic would mean that you are IMMATURE.   

I have a test to grade, homework to hand back and the A-Z blog challenge to check out.  And I also have a backpacking trip, golfing and wine tastings to plan for once I'm free of teaching.  So I’ll wrap this up by saying that honestly, I feel your pain.

Signed,

Mr. Hancock, who is 32 years past caring what you think