Thursday, April 7, 2016

F is for Friday Freakouts

Dear Ask a Teacher,

I hate Fridays.  Every time the weekend gets close, the students in my classes seem to go nuts.  They either sleep, or they’re hard to control and keep asking to watch videos because “It’s Friday, miss!”  I’m sick of it.  I feel like I spend each class period trying to get everyone back on track, and it throws us off for the rest of the week.  We can’t even have a relaxed class because we’re getting so far behind.  What can I do to make the students understand that Friday does NOT equal Free Day?

Signed,
Friday Fearing Ms. Francis

Dear Ms. Francis,

Fridays are tough for everyone, even teachers, because by the end of the week, we’re all spent.  But I’m glad to see you’re trying to keep it together, even though it feels like “Fry-Day.”  Get it??

I would do one of two things, and either will work.  You could schedule a test on Friday that will take the entire class period to complete.  That way, students feel as “tested” as you do!  Oh, that’s a real thigh-slapper.  I’ve used that on the kids and I think they like it, even though they never say much. The other thing you can do is plan to have a more “fun” activity on Friday that can only happen if certain things are accomplished that week.  You show them the plan at the beginning of the week, and they can work towards it.  Otherwise, they get a quiz or something.  Or you can put up a PowerPoint and lecture, requiring them to take notes, maybe on the AtoZ blog challenge!  This keeps my class quiet, and sometimes I walk around the room during the lecture to check on them and see that they’re still breathing.  I know they are if they complain that I smell like earwax.  They like to kid.

I hope this helps.  You don’t want to be like the cross-eyed teacher who couldn’t control his pupils!  Get it??

Signed,

Mr. Crooks, who really isn’t a crook.  Get it??