Wednesday, August 5, 2015

IWSG - This is when you know you really need to get a life

School is starting up soon, and things are looking good.

I’m working at a new school this year, and so far there are no red flags.  Believe me, I’m spending a lot of time looking for them, thanks to my prior experiences.  I imagine that my suspicious nature hasn’t endeared me to my coworkers yet, but there’s time.  Every workplace has to have that “glass is not just half-empty, it’s also cracked” person, and I’m okay with filling that slot for a few weeks.

Seriously, I don’t think I’ve felt quite so upbeat in the past about the upcoming school year.  My class schedule is great, and I’m not teaching multiple subjects like I have in years past.  Class sizes are extremely small (yay!) and I have a lot of leeway in how I can design my lessons.  My emails get returned quickly, questions about procedures yield answers that make sense, parents have already contacted me and seem supportive, and the administration has planned a huge pre-school year get-to-know-you bash at a private club for the teachers.  Tech support is a bit lacking, but you know, you can’t have EVERYTHING.

This means I’m going to die, right?

Look, I know that the last few years have left me pretty jaded.  But I’ve never had to NOT worry before school starts.  I’ve never had an entire class roster so soon or had my equipment requests in and processing so early.  What do I do if I don’t have to argue over the schedule with the administration?  Is this a natural reaction after years of teaching in what seemed like a foxhole?  Or am I suffering from some PTSD? 

It's nice that my mini-freakout is happening at the same time as IWSG post day. That's convenient. Clearly I’m used to worrying and stressing out about the situation I’m in.  I don’t need to do that, but my crazy brain has to occupy itself somehow, so instead I’m worrying about what MIGHT happen and I’m planning for possible disaster scenarios.  

I need to learn how the other, non-crisis-ridden population lives, if there is one. I hear they have hobbies of some sort.