Monday, June 1, 2015

Letters of appreciation are usually appreciated

I got this email last summer.  It’s the best kind of email, the kind that’s unexpected and heartwarming.

“Dear Ms. Marlowe,
I just wanted to let you know that I can’t watch the news anymore without thinking of our class.  I dissect their leads and I’m always commenting on the bad headlines in the newspaper while my dad is reading it.  It’s hard to listen anymore without rewriting what I’m hearing in my head.  So I thought you’d appreciate knowing that your class made me a much more discerning viewer or reader.  My dad hates it.
Sincerely,
Melvin

P.S.  I told my sisters they should sign up for your class when they get into high school.  If my dad will let them.”


That email may not have moved you the way it moved me, but after a frustrating year, it’s still good to know that a student learned something and it impacted his life, though maybe not in the way I wanted it to.