Thursday, June 4, 2015

IWSG Check in - just to check

The school year is over, so it's time to pack up the classroom and move on.  Yes, I'm packing up because I decided NOT to return to CISD again.  Most of the other teachers are doing the same.  All in all, I think our school is losing a minimum of 50 percent of the teachers.  Most are going to other public schools.  I can honestly tell you I don't know where I'm going just yet, but I am here, on my blog.

With all the end of the year hoopla, I once again neglected to do my IWSG check in on the designated day, so I'm a day behind.  Or maybe I'm not.  Teachers tend to consume a lot of hard liquor after the last day of school, so our memories get pretty hazy.  Let's say that it is still Wednesday, and I'll look at the calendar after my hangover wears off.

What am I insecure about this time?  The future!  I'm not sure where I'll be working next and how that will impact my writing.  I've put off writing for years to make a living.  I think most of us would love to live the writer's life, but let's be honest: It doesn't pay very well.  Neither does teaching, really, but at least you usually have a semi-livable wage and benefits.

But now that I'm between jobs, I'm wondering about taking the next step.  I like teaching, but I hate what's happening to public education.  I love blogging but have never committed myself to it until this year.  Should I look for another teaching job, or take on tutoring and part time work, so I can write more?  That's the dilemma I'm facing.

I realize this post isn't as full of yuks as my others, but if you have advice, I'd love to hear it.