Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Grammarians, these people ain't.

I realize that "grammar" isn't an educational buzzword.  But I'm including it here because I think it's instructive and it's something that needs to be back in vogue.  Plus it's my particular ax I'd like to grind in today's A-Z blog challenge post. 

Like many English-type teachers, I'm nitpicky about grammar.  I feel myself getting violent when students say, "Well, what had happened was..."  I don't understand why someone can't capitalize the first letter of his name on his paper.  An apostrophe is necessary for a contraction, and it's not a "little comma." It doesn't bode well for the future.

Grammar has fallen by the wayside over the past few years because the educational community said it didn't need to be explicitly taught.  The idea was that students would absorb grammar rules in the context of writing instruction.  But since so few teachers really know how to teach good writing, they also don't know or aren't teaching grammatical structures.

To depress you on this Wednesday, I thought I'd include some examples of what the rising generation is putting out there for public consumption.  By the way, these are up IN A SCHOOL, sanctioned by a teacher and administrators who should know better.  The protests of the English department went unheeded. 

 
I'd say if you can't see what's wrong with these, then you're what's wrong with America today.  Am I overstating it?  Absolutely not - these kinds of word crimes deserve public shaming.